As every year Christmas markets bring all the atmosphere, flavours, scents and colours of this beautiful time of the year in one place. Catalonia has a large tradition of fairs and local markets where you can find regional dishes, Christmas trees and everything to enjoy with kids. Although all are worth a visit, it is almost impossible manage them, so, here you are some recommendations.
Barcelona has its own celebration in Christmas time. This are two examples:
- The Fira de Santa Llúcia market, held near the cathedral. From 29th of November to the 23rd of December.
- The Port Vell Christmas market which will be located in front of the Columbus monument, will bring together a wide variety of stalls, a gastronomic area and activities for all audiences but especially for the little ones. And its 31 meters high and fully illuminated with LED technology Christmas tree will be the perfect attraction for everyone. From the 5th of December to the 5th of January.
Chritsmas tree Port Vell
OUTSIDE OF THE CITY
Leaving the city we have some option as well:
- Mura: It is a beautiful medieval town in Barcelona province near to the entrance to the nature reserve od Sant Llorenc del Munt i l’Obac. In this town, we can enjoy Festa del “tió” and its Christmas tió (trunk of wood). To visit Mura it is a wonderful plan with children. From 6th of december to 6th of January.
- In Villafranca del Penedés, you can find the Fira del Gall (Cockerel Festival), it is a traditional market from Middle Ages. In this Festival you can taste the Penedés Cockerel. Nowadays, it is an event more gastronomic than Christmas where there are a connection between food a renowned Penedés wine. From 21st to 22nd of December.
- Espinelves (Girona). In this forested area we can find the Fira de l’Avet with more than 100 of stalls. From 30th of November to 8th of December.
- Reus (Tarragona) has a Christmas market from 4th to the 23rd of December. This stalls are full of nativity figures, tiós, trees and other Christmas plants, lights, chimney decorations, barquillo wafers, turrón nougat, etc
- Pals, situated in Costa Brava offers an acclaimed cultural attraction. A team of over 300 people turn this walled town into a veritable Bethlehem each year, with 150 figures acting out different scenes related to the birth of Jesus. which take a place around the town.
Plenty of options you have to complete your visit to Catalonia in Christmas.
Barcelona VIP Tours
Our company focuses on small groups and people travelling on their own. Our offers include various Private Tours in Barcelona and its surroundings with specific itineraries, as well as “tailor-made tours” adapted to our client’s wishes. We are delighted to help you, if you need any information, please discover our services and contact us.
Sources: Wikipedia, La Vanguardia, El Periodico, Turisme Vilafranca, Espinelves